“You are on a boat with your husband/wife and your child and it starts to sink. But, you can only save one person. Who would you save?”
As this question was asked to us before the talk had proceeded, at the back of my mind, I answered, “I would save my husband.”
The choice that we had as answers to the said question led us to this realization: “Wrong priority in life means wrong living.” It doesn’t mean that if you prioritize your husband/wife more than your kids, or the other way around, it is already wrong. It just means that if we prioritize too much on someone, which tends to forgetting another one, then that leads to wrong priorities.
The statement above is just one of the remarkable points that I learned from the FREE seminar that I attended at Davao Christian High School – Function Hall last February 9, 2013, Saturday. Practical Parenting Seminar – this seminar was organized by the Parents Teachers Fellowship (SY 2012-2013) of the Davao Christian High School. This was attended not only by parents, but also by grandparents, teachers, guardians, and even single individuals. Aside from that, non-DCHS parents were also invited to the said seminar.
The speaker of the said seminar was none other than Mr. Francis J. Kong. For those who know him and for those who had attended the seminar last Saturday, we were so blessed to have attended a FREE seminar with Mr. Kong as the resource person.
The seminar lasted for almost two hours. Despite how brief that seminar had been, there were already an array of learning and lessons that was shared to us. Aside from the statement mentioned at the first part of this text, I would like to share the following points that I had taken down into my notebook, and of course, that I had learned. 🙂
– Love is giving, serving, providing the best for the object of the recipient.
– Insanity is hereditary. You get them from your children! (LOL)
– God is in control! 🙂
– The mark of stupidity complicates the simple.
– Parents/Families have forgotten to teach children Biblical values. Don’t blame the media.
– The secret to success is STILL discipline.
– Parenting is a nonstop adventure.
– The ability to delay gratification, or in other words self-discipline, is the key to success.
– Fathers should talk to sons about sex; mothers should talk to daughters about sex. Don’t wait for the time that your children will ask about it to other people, worse, to WRONG people.
– Parents make mistakes. Say “I am sorry”, not “It’s your fault!”
– Management is about control. Leadership is about influence.
– Only rewarded actions are repeated.
– We are all walking bank account in terms of emotional currency.
– Skills agility, not the school where you came from, matters most. After three months, people will just have forgotten from what school you have graduated.
– Teach your kids to love God more than they love you.
As Mr. Kong was about to end his talk, he shared, “The most important thing apart from loving kids is loving their mother.” He explained, “When kids grow up, they will eventually leave their parents and build their own families.” And, to end, he jokingly said, “That is why, we (parents) must love our spouses even if we have no choice!”
Hahaha! Truly, that was an informative and FUN seminar!